This multi-vendor marketplace, which opened in February 2020, offers a range of international prepared food options as well as specialty merchants to explore.
Similar to the markets found in European cities, Worcester Public Market features numerous stalls in one central location, allowing you to walk from stall to stall, taking in the many food choices and possibly trying a variety of dishes from different vendors.
In addition to these small food stalls, you’ll also find small-scale merchants selling speciality goods and foods, a few restaurants, and specialty vendors located in their own storefronts, attached to the market.
A visit to the Worcester Public Market is the perfect weekend outing with friends or family as everyone can choose their own dish and still sit together. Afterward, wander through the shops within the market or down Green and Harding Streets to explore the other restaurants, boutiques, and specialty stores within the Canal District.
Where can I find the Worcester Public Market?
The Worcester Public Market is located in the city’s Canal District, a 15-year-old revitalized neighborhood filled with unique restaurants, shops, and nightlife. The market itself is on the corner of Kelley’s Square, at the tip of Green Street and Harding Street.
The Public Market and the Canal District are seconds away from highway 290, just off of Exit 17. The Market is also a quick three-minute drive from Worcester Common and Worcester City Hall.
What are Worcester Public Market hours and when is it open?
The Worcester Public Market is open Wednesday-Sunday from 11 AM – 7 PM, however, on Friday and Saturday food vendors within the market remain open until 9 PM.
The adjacent Wachusett Brewing Co. keeps different hours: Wednesday & Thursday, 3 PM – 9PM; Friday & Saturday 12 PM – 10 PM; Sunday 11 AM – 7 PM and on Tuesday when the Woo Sox have a game, it’s open from 5-8 PM.
Which restaurants are available at Worcester Public Market?
These are the current restaurants available at the market:
- Ākra Eatery + Juice Bar: West African food featuring bowls, wraps, and juices
- BubbleBee Cafe: Asian fare featuring pho soups, egg rolls, bubble tea, and more
- One Love Café: Jamaican food featuring jerk chicken, curries, and vegan options
- Namaste: Indian food including samosas and Indian-flavored burritos and tacos
- Momo Palace: A variety of momos (dumplings) steamed, fried, or in soup
- Burger Bah: Gourmet burgers with healthy ingredients and a variety of toppings
- Pacha Mama: Peruvian food including empanadas
- Pasta Mani: Handmade pasta with a variety of sauces
- Sabroza Venezuela: Venezuela arepas, cachapas, bowls, and empanadas
- Taqueria Del Pueblo: Mexican food including tacos, quesadillas, tortas, and nachos
- Atlantis Oysters & Raw Bar: Oysters, ceviche, clam chowder, and other seafood dishes
- Teriyaki Japan: Chicken teriyaki, fried rice, and other Japanese dishes
- George’s Bakery: Lebanese & Syrian baked goods featuring pita bread and pies
- Wachusett Brewing Co.: A full brewery and restaurant featuring local favorites
Which shops are available at Worcester Public Market?
In addition to restaurants, the market features the following specialty food & goods vendors:
Specialty Food Vendors:
- Canal District Wines: Curated wines
- Creative Cakes by Colleen: Cakes, cupcakes, cake pops, and more
- Froze Zone: Gelato, sorbet, and Italian ice
- Donghnut Homies: Unique glazed, cake, and filled donuts
- The Market Pantry: Artisanal foods, textiles, and handmade wood items
- Smith’s Country Cheese: A wide variety of cheeses and butter
- The Sweet Life: Artisanal chocolates
- Stillman’s Farm: Farm-fresh produce and meats
- Subzero Nitrogen Ice Cream: Ice cream with custom mix-ins
Specialty Goods Vendors:
- Countrybank: Local bank
- Shea Luxuria: Natural skin and hair products
- Girly Girl Soaps: Natural soaps
- Kommon Sense Co.: Eco-conscious body and home adornments
- Peter Tomlinson Photography: Photographic prints
- The Tinker’s Cart: Irish and Celtic gifts
- Worcester Wares: Products and goods that celebrate the city of Worcester
Where is parking available at Worcester Public Market?
Fortunately, there are many parking options close to the market. In fact, there are more than 1,100 parking spaces within the Canal District! Note that all these parking options require payment of a dollar or more per hour.
The most convenient parking is on Harding Street at the back of the Market. From this lot you can walk directly into the Public Market, passing The Market Pantry, before arriving at the stalls. To get to this lot coming from the highway, you’ll need to drive down Green Street, make a right on Harrison Street, a right on Harding Street, at which point an entrance to the lot will be on your right.
Other nearby parking options include (in approximate order of proximity to the market):
- Chatham Street Parking (165 MA-122)
- Canal District Parking (156 Washington Street)
- The Green Street Parking Lot (99 Green Street, between Green Street Dental and The Hangover)
- The Water Street Parking Lot (85 Water Street)
- The Harding Street Parking Lot (67 MA-122)
- Union Station Garage (225 Franklin Street)
- The Expressway Lot C (40 Grafton St., literally underneath the expressway)
- Francis J. Mc Grath Municipal Parking Lot (3 Salem Street)
Note that on street parking is also available but be sure to check signs to ensure you’re parking in an unrestricted spot.
What else is there to do near Worcester Public Market?
Worcester Public Market is in the heart of the city’s Canal District where there are a variety of shops, restaurants, nightclubs, and occasional special events all within walking distance. Click here to learn more about the Canal District.
About Kerry Flatley
Kerry Flatley has lived in New England for the past 26 years. She has roots in Maine & Massachusetts, family in New Hampshire, and grew up close to the Connecticut border. She loves all that this region has to offer – the ocean, mountains, islands, history, villages, and cities. When she’s not writing about New England, she’s relaxing at home in the Boston suburbs with her two teenage daughters and husband.